Pen & Paper


I love writing things down. In our day and age of handheld devices, I think the whole idea of actually using a pen has become a lost thing of the past. I still have a little notebook scheduler where I plan out my days, and I'm very into post it notes, and having papers all over the place. Still, something about writing it down just connects with me.

I mean look at me, hear I am blogging on a computer, when only 5 years ago I had journals, hand written, piled up to the sky. I really miss those days to be honest. I think that there is so much connection between your thoughts and your hand. A flowing river, if you will. Then all of that emotion, caused by the weariness of your hand, gets written down on paper. Even the writing style conveys so much personality. The way people dot their eyes, connect their letters, it all adds so much character and definition to whatever it is you are trying to write. I miss carrying around my notebook too. I always used the plain little notebooks for my journal entries and thoughts, but every now and then I would buy a cute little notebook with the coolest design on it, and just hold it, thinking it was so beautiful. I think the convenience got to me. The convenience of typing up a blog entry, doing some quick editing, and posting it for all too see. The convenience of looking back to see what you wrote, and deleting it after you realize it was complete gibberish. The convenience of professionalism in mere seconds.

But still, I miss those handwritten days of post it notes, huge calendars, notes, mom schedulers, and mix tapes. Ok mix tapes have nothing to do with writing, but I miss those too.

5 comments:

  1. p.s. I love to write. I have a notebook that I write everything down in. I'm a big list person. I also have a mini notebook that I carry around with me all the time, to write down any blog ideas or whatever comes to me. I also write to snail mail pals. I've been doing that since I was 15 (I'm old now, so it's been a real long time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved writing in my journals. I miss it sometimes too. There's nothing quite like sitting in bed and writing about your day in a pretty journal. Ahhh I may start doing that again. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still use notebooks and a pen and paper to write things down... I just can't get into using my Blackberry for everything. For some reason, I don't remember as much unless I actually write it down. Even when I'm blogging, I have a piece of paper that I write things on... good ideas, web urls, etc... I suppose I'm old-fashioned that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss those days also, but I find myself writing with pen and paper when I'm out and about in Mom's Taxi (smile). Things come to mind and since I don't have a laptop, I go back to the old school way of writing. Enjoyed my visit to your blog!

    ReplyDelete